Thursday, February 23, 2012

On a vegetarian diet, can you get in all of the essential amino acids?

Or do some only come from meat?



I've been getting completely like mixed answers to that question lol. I've been a vegetarian for 2 years and I've honestly never felt healthier. I did research and I eat everything that vegetarian websites and my doctor say to. But people continue to tell me that I can't possibly be getting in all of the 'essential' fatty acids or whatever.

I'm confused.

=/On a vegetarian diet, can you get in all of the essential amino acids?
Yes you can. Please note that essential AMINO acids are completely different form essential FATTY acids. Essential amino acids are what protein is made of.



Protein that comes from plants is SOMETIMES incomplete, which means it doesn't contain all essential amino acids. They generally lack 1 or 2 but have an excess of 1 or 2 others. You can complete the protein by eating some complementary foods that contain an excess of what the other was missing, and may lack the one that the other is in excess of (ie first food has lots of A and B, but not much Y or Z. Second food has very little A or B, and lots of Y and Z). However, soy is a complete protein, and if you consume dairy and eggs, those are complete as well.



Essential fatty acids are completely different. Generally when people refer to intake of essential fatty acids, they're talking about Omega 3. A lot of people get it from fish, but another really common source is flax seed (or flax seed oil), and there are others.



Someone mentioned B vitamins, but you can get this from a (multi) vitamin supplement, or fortified foods. A lot of soy milk will be fortified with it, as are some cereals and other vegetarian specialty products.
There are millions of vegetarians on earth and there have been for thousands of years! yes you can have a very healthy long life being a vegetarian. if you are confused about how to proceed you should consult a registered dietitian (R.D.) who can break down the info for you better than any random source you find online.



Good luck I hope it works for you!



%26lt;-- vegetarian since 1985On a vegetarian diet, can you get in all of the essential amino acids?
haha. the people who are telling you that don't know anything.

yes, you can get all your "essential" fatty acids from things like soy and leafy vegetables.
YES! For example, goji berries contain all 8 essential AA's. You can get them all, quite easily too.On a vegetarian diet, can you get in all of the essential amino acids?
Yes you can. There is nothing in animal products that is essential for good human health. The American Dietetic Association states outright that vegetarian and vegan diets when well planned are healthy for all age groups and help prevent several diseases.
Here's a secret. I'm getting my complete, essential [and non-essential] amino acids. And I don't eat meat! Amazing eh? My sources are brown rice protein + pea protein + artichoke protein. I'll be honest, no I don't eat those...however, I take a powder that has it all [plus other things I need since I mildly bodybuild + do other activities]. As well, the only type of bread I buy are sprouted bread [which is going to have to end soon, cause all I can find are ones with sprouted wheat AND soy...and I can't consume soy] and spelt breads. Amino acids right there as well. Soy, itself, is the only non-meat source of all essential amino acids in one place. Otherwise, you have to mix and match.
No, a completely vegetarian ( vegan) diet is short of some b vitamins and some essential amino acids, the result is that such people are pretty unhealthy in the long run and lose muscle mass.
Yeah they only come from meat but they make pills you can take to get it in. Ive been a vegetarian for a while now to, but my stupid doctor dubbed me " anorexic " . Ugh she makes me so mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment