Thursday, February 23, 2012

Help me with a vegetarian diet?

I really want to become a vegetarian. My problem is this month, I'll be fasting a lot, so I'd like to know what foods should I eat when I'm not fasting to help maintain my energy and keep me strong for the rest of the day that's vegetarian? I want to start being one, and I'm not much of a cook, so simple recipes are appreciated. Thank you.Help me with a vegetarian diet?
For recipes, check out www.vegweb.com, "How it All Vegan!" and "Garden of Vegan!" by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard and "Simply Vegan" by Debra Wasserman. The last book uses many convenience products and most of the recipes have fewer than five or six ingredients.



Eat hearty, rich foods. If you can make simple stews with lots of veggies and some tofu or tempeh, that might help. If you're allowed to consume water during the fast period, I would do that as well. (I'm sure you know that for Yom Kippur, observant Jews do not even consume water during the fast.)



And I agree you should wait until after Eid before trying some of the more unusual analogues. You right now want simple food that will keep you fueled.
Eat all types of nuts and if you ever get meat cravings (usual for first weeks of vegetarianism) try mock meats which taste just like meat but r made from vegetables and other ingrediants, they can be found in the freezer section of a supermarker. Some good brads are Quorn and Bocca. I really love the Bocca Burgers, they taste exactly like real burgers but are meat free you must try for yourself!!

- good luck you can easily do it.Help me with a vegetarian diet?
I've been vegetarian for 12 years. I think the main thing is to make sure you take a really good iron supplement. I take Fefol which you can just get from the chemist. Also, if you haven't already, switch to wholemeal bread or rye, they're great for toast in the mornings. Some simple breakfasts... baked beans on toast, scrambled eggs with mushroom %26amp; tomato on toast, or yogurt and museli. They should give you a boost to start off your day. My favourite dinners are vege lasagne or spinach and fetta lasagne. But there's many more, too many to mention. I recommend you go vege cook book shopping, there's heaps of them out there. Hope this helps.
Just make sure you are eating your daily recommended dose of mayonnaise every day.Help me with a vegetarian diet?
Fasting is tough-but as for good food choices. Find a soy milk you will drink, I love Silk plain, and start off every day with a soy milk smoothie or soy milk and cereal. That way, no matter what you eat during the day, you have a good start and some protein. I also take a multivitamin as part of that AM routine. Simple veggie soups with some legumes or beans are good...just make sure you don't do the 2 veggie mistakes: 1. replace meat with lots of carbs or junk food (conveinient and meatless but bad) or 2. go over board with veggies and fruits only ( you are not a rabbit-lettuce is not enough) Trial and error! Good luck! (for sticky burger situations...Boca meatless vegan burgers in original are the best....you can grill them with the rest of the families beef patties and they taste pretty good too)
If you fasted and still ate some foods you would technically not be fasting. Some call this a partial fast, but its not really any kind of fast at all.



The best thing to do is to load up on lots of carbs the night before you fast. That will help keep your energy levels up as the carbs will be stored as glycogen, an alternate supply for energy in the body.



Also, if drinking water is permitted you should drink lots of that while fasting. Water is not food so you should be able to do that at least. Oh, and remember, water is vital to life, so do not let yourself become dehydrated as you will not be getting water from any foods you normally consume.
During Ramadan, it might help if you concentrate on meatless foods that you already enjoy, as you've probably got some idea of how long these foods will keep you energized. You can see how unfamiliar foods effect you later on, when you're not fasting.

If you like meat analogs like Tofurkey or Morningstar, these stay with you %26amp; are high in protein. Many vegetarians use these when they first stop eating meat, and many quit using them after they've been veg for awhile (I only use them once in a while now). You might also consider peanut butter on whole-grain bread-- filling, nutritious, easy %26amp; portable. Beans are also good %26amp; filling. Have whatever fruits %26amp; vegetables you like %26amp; if you don't use dairy, take a vegan Vitamin B12 supplement a couple times a week. Drink plenty of water, too.

Good luck.
i dont know of any "super foods" that will keep you energized and all that, but if you want i good meal with grains, fruits, vegetables, protien, and dairy, try a salad that has crotuns (the grains), lettuce, tomato, onion (vegetables+fruit), protien you'll get from the cheese, but you can also add almonds, tofu... if you want protien in a drink, try soy milk.
pizza, pasta, sandwiches, vegatable soup and bread,

sugar foods (fruits, ice cream, pastries)
I think during Ramadan you should LOTS of fruit in the morning to keep you going.

No comments:

Post a Comment