Monday, February 20, 2012

Can a vegetarian diet be healthy for dogs?

I read a story about Bramble, a Border Collie who lived to be 28 years old and was a vegan. She ate a bowl of lentils, rice and organic vegetables every evening. This story is making me re-think my long standing belief that in order for my two dogs to be healthy they need to eat a diet that consists of animal protein.



http://dogsinthenews.com/issues/0209/articles/020918a.htm



What are your thoughts?Can a vegetarian diet be healthy for dogs?
As long as you pay attention to the dog's nutritional needs, he or she can be very healthy on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Many people have reversed their dog's health problems by transitioning them to vegan diets.

Alicia Silverstone's dogs are all vegans and are extremely healthy according to her. And they never fart which is a bonus. Her two dogs who passed away were over 15 years old. The others are still healthy and thriving.
NO. Dogs are carnivores. I saw a story on animal cops or something like that where the woman was a vegetarian and wanted to feed her cats that way. She said they always had plenty to eat, and yet there they were --- emaciated and dying. The vets said that cats and dogs need meat. It's best to feed your dog a high quality food especially formulated for dogs. Have a heart and treat your friend right. If in doubt, as your own vet about this.Can a vegetarian diet be healthy for dogs?
definitely talk to your vet. but from what i read dogs can gain all the amino acids they need from plant foods.



In regards to what Karen said above, about emaciated cats: cats MUST eat meat. They are true carnivores, meaning they cannot get all the nutrients they need from vegetable sources. Dogs on the other hand can do without meat.



It might be a good idea though to include eggs in your dog's diet for the B12, if you do have them go veg.



I think my dogs like eating veg. food better anyway. They love rice and all kinds of veggies, better than their dog food.
Theres an exception to every rule, ask your vet why are you asking a bunch of vegetarians about the anatomy %26amp; potential nutritional problems of other animals?Can a vegetarian diet be healthy for dogs?
Of course.

Many guardians feed their animal companions a vegetarian diet and they are healthy.
If it were they'd have been born w/opposobale thumbs %26amp; be able to make oatmeal.
Looks, to me, like you answered your own question.
no
I really wish there was a way to feed my dogs a vegetarians diet and keep them healthy. But to be honest, I really don't know. I have not done a ton of research to be really sure. I just became a vegan 10 months ago. I'm still supporting factory farms and animal cruelty when I buy their bag of organix which makes me feel guilty.



My cocker spaniel loves veggie food when I give her a bit of what I'm having (that is only if it doesn't contain anything bad for her (chocolate, onions, grapes, garlic etc.!)) She is very picky with her dog food and wont eat it unless its late and hasn't eaten :( I've tried different premium brands already.



I have asked the vet and he said he had no problem with dogs being fed a vegetarian diet as long as they stayed healthy. In addition, a holistic dog med book I have says some dogs do pretty well on that diet. But for cats it gets more complicated since they need taurine and are carnivores. Dogs are omnivores.



I have read about many people who have claimed they feed their dogs vegetarian diet successfully. But from what I read doing a urinalysis should be done in case their urine ph becomes too alkaline.



I tried some veg recipes for dogs from a book for a month at first but I got too cautious and quit. I read that with cocker spaniels you need more precaution because they were more prone to having an enlarge heart. L-carnitine and taurine should be supplemented for the certain breeds prone to it. The supplements I found were a bit pricey and I couldn't find a veg dog food that listed both.



I'm pretty open-minded but yeah...I still would need to do a ton of research to give it another try. I still think everyone should also research what they feed their dog anyway. I def don't want to contribute to factory farms. That's my opinion on it.
  • virtual earth
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment