Sunday, January 29, 2012

What is a good vegetarian diet for my cat, one that won't make it sick, as others I've tried?

I want my cat on a proper health vegetarian diet.What is a good vegetarian diet for my cat, one that won't make it sick, as others I've tried?
I understand the philosophy of vegetarianism on humans, we are omnivores. But to try an impose a human philosophy on an animal whose physiology does not compliment that type of diet irks me.

It is hypocrisy at its worst. You claim killing an animal is cruel, yet you want to impose an unnatural diet on an animal that can cause great harm.

Cats are obligate carnivores, it is unethical and cruel to impose a dietary philosophy on a creature who cannot survive that way naturally.

There are plenty of herbivore pets, like Rabbits.
None, cats are obligate carnivores meaning they must have a meat based diet to receive the nutrition they need. No such thing as a "proper healthy vegetarian diet" for cats because no vegetarian diet is health for them.

Add: Extra thumbs up for Infernal, he nailed it. It is counter productive to believe it is cruel to kill animals for your own food while simultaneously denying your own pet vital nutrients that results in its slow death. If you refuse to feed your cat the meat based diet it has to have to survive then rehome it with someone that is willing to feed it a proper diet and get a pet that is meant to be a vegetarian. There are plenty of pets available that are herbivores.What is a good vegetarian diet for my cat, one that won't make it sick, as others I've tried?
Agree with above. I'm a vegetarian myself but cats' bodies are carnivore bodies. A proper healthy vegetarian diet is kind of an oxymoron. If your cat has special circumstances such that she can't eat meat for some reason, it may be wise to work with a pet nutritionist that can help you formulate a diet especially for your cat.
There is NONE. Cats need and require meat. They cannot live long on a non-meat diet. If you cannot feed your cat the proper diet of beef, chicken, lamb, then please rehome your cat. Taurine is essential to a cat and only can be found in MEAT. W/O taurine your cat will go blind or have severe kidney/liver problems.



Why do people that don't eat meat think their pets should do the same. If you want a pet that doesn't eat meat get a hamster or rabbit.What is a good vegetarian diet for my cat, one that won't make it sick, as others I've tried?
Every single person that answered above me is correct. Cats cannot live with a vegetarian diet. End of story.
Huge +1 to infernal disaster's answer.Well said!
MilK

No comments:

Post a Comment