Sunday, January 29, 2012

Has anyone heard of feeding a dog a vegetarian diet to make him more docile?

I've heard of a vegetarian diet for dogs with allergies or G.I. problems, but to make him less aggressive.

Seems it would just malnurouish him?Has anyone heard of feeding a dog a vegetarian diet to make him more docile?
Yes, the best way to get rid of the problems you mentioned is to change the dogs diet but not the way you have asked. Often just getting rid of the commercial dog food with its inappropritate and poor quality ingredients will fix these issues.



Dogs are carnivores - they need raw carcasses not fruit, vegetables and grains. Feed your dog a species appropriate diet of RAW meat, edible bones, offal/organs and a few table scraps.



Do your research into a raw diet for your dog and you will never feed commercial food again. This link is to a feeding guide produced by Dr Tom Lonsdale - a vet with many years of experience and research into the damage caused by commercial diets.



**Raw meat has nothing to do with aggression. This is an old wives tale whose time is well and truly over!!.
I think they would be malnourished also. They might be less aggressive because they are starving.Has anyone heard of feeding a dog a vegetarian diet to make him more docile?
yeah if a vet doesn't tell u that you should feed your dog something other then dog food then i dont think its a good idea. if your dog is starving he might be more aggressive.
That sounds just plain DUMD. Dogs like MEAT. They need MEAT. If you want a docile dog then pay ATTENTION to it. Maybe even get it some training. I don't think i have EVER heard of a dog beg for a salad. Steak yea but not veggies.Has anyone heard of feeding a dog a vegetarian diet to make him more docile?
It would make them very sick dogs require 75 meat in their diet no grains. Little veg content.
Never heard of it and I have had dogs all of my life. (62 yrs old) I think a diet like that would be harmful. Dogs are meat eaters.
Dogs are usually classified as being carnivorous, or meat-eaters. However, dogs are more like vultures, in that they eat carrion. Still, dogs need meat; without it, they will die, the same as humans, but dogs need a mostly meat diet, whether from living animals or as carrion.
I have never heard of anyone doing it for behavioral reasons, only for health or medical reasons.



Except for a couple extremely rare conditions, I don't think it's a good idea for those reasons either.
Aggression has to do with the social rearing and training of the dog. True a bad diet can make a dog edgy, who wouldn't be with an improper diet. The AAFCO standards with the FDA insure that dog foods with their label pass the guidelines for nutritional requirements. Please check your brand of dog food to see if it meets the standards, if not buy one that is.
Maybe you shoud nueter him
I have spent a good portion of this morning searching the net for answers regarding vegetarian dogs and am still confused. I have been against animal cruelty, over farming, inhumane slaughter etc. for as long as I can remember, yet cannot bring myself to deny my canine companion what, I think, is a staple diet requirement and replace it with vegetable protien. My reason for sudden concern regarding this issue is due to my second meeting with a 11 month old vegan beagle. She is a very high spirited, socialable dog, good coat, loved dearly by her owners, so on the surface i saw no problem with the absence of meat in her diet. However, she discovered a half eaten bone left by my dog in the garden, and when we tried to take it from her, she displayed some of the worst food aggression Ive ever seen and I have no doubt that if Id tried to take the bone from her, she wouldve bitten me. The owners blame her breed, saying beagles just love their food too much, and have seen similar behaviour from her over any food, not just meat. I have to stress, this dog is not neglected, a lot of time and money is spent on this dogs diet, yet I still feel she craves meat. That is the most conclusive evidence I have come across. give a vegetarian dog a bone, then see if their bellys are truly satisfied from processed vegan dog biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment