Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I would like to try a vegetarian diet for the summer but I have no ideal where to start. What are the basics?

We raise a garden so I have a large selection of fresh veggies to choose from. I am always tired %26amp; sluggish so I was hoping making a switch to a healthier diet would help %26amp; with having the garden, vegetarian seems to be the best choice. Anyone with any guidelines to go by? Also, any tricks for learning to go without the red meats? I love sirloin tips w/ mushrooms %26amp; onions!I would like to try a vegetarian diet for the summer but I have no ideal where to start. What are the basics?
Hello! Congratulations on your decision to switch to vegetarianism!



Being a vegetarian doesn't have any specific guidelines, besides not eating meat. Some vegetarians are stricter then others, it is all personal choice. For example, some vegetarians will eat pizza with meat on it, but they will pick of the meat. Others find that that isn't for them. Basically, vegetarians create their own guidelines. The only one to stick by, to call yourself a vegetarian, is to not eat meat.



Going without red meats.. hmm. I would say, take it in steps. For example, one week give up one kind of meat. The next week, give up a new type of meat. Or, you could take it by animal. One week, give up any meat from cows. The next week, give up any meat from pigs. Although, for some people, it is easier to just STOP.



It takes around 21 days to get over a craving. So, once you stop eating meat, or a certain type of meat, go one month without eating it. Give yourself one month, and then go from there.



For any meat you're craving, there are substitutes! One great brand is Morning Star. Their website is listed below, in the sources, and it also has some recipes on the site!



If you search online, you will be able to find thousands of vegetarian recipes, including some of your favorite non-meat foods! Not to mention, meat substitutes!



I think I'm starting to repeat myself now, but anyways. Give it one month, and the very least. I believe that you can do it! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!
Variety is a great thing and will be very beneficial. I'd suggest getting a cookbook by Mark Bittman titled "How To Cook Everything Vegetarian". He is not a vegetarian, but he loves real food and the book is hugely diverse.

Eat a good blend of whole grains, pastas, rices, fruits and vegetables. Don't be overly concerned with "nutritionism". You know, worrying that you're having too many starches in a day or lacking in one vitamin or another. Such concerns are unwarranted in the context of overall health. Eating a variety of good, real foods takes care of all that you need.

As far as being worried about missing meat, that's just something you'll have to learn to live with if you make the choice to go meatless. The craving usually subsides over time. My suggestion is to eat some meat. There's nothing wrong with consuming meat. It should be viewed the same way as other foods in a meal, though. It's a side dish. You really shouldn't have a "main" dish when preparing meals. Small portions of several things is very satisfying.

I wish you the best and please, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.I would like to try a vegetarian diet for the summer but I have no ideal where to start. What are the basics?
the rason why you are tied is from all the junky meat and fish. to go without meat is really simple and makes you feel better. first off i would start by having less and less meat each day. then eentually to no meat. then start cutting out the fish.you can also buy 'fake meat' its made of other stuff but taste pretty much the same so you can buy 'fake steak' to get protien you should eat stuff like



tofu

brown nice

leafy greens

nuts

peanut butter or almond butter

beans





and actually almost any foods you eat have a bit of protien so dont worry about protien all that much. but remember, dont fill up on carbds like pasta and breadall the time eat more of the fruits and veggies! yum:) good luck!
If you really like your steak, there are great veggie alternatives which you could try, to help you stick by your diet. I'm a vegan, and for me i just eat meals that everyone else eats, minus the meat/dairy products.

So for you could try the Quorn products to have in a meal?



If you search in google/yahoo for veggie recipes thousands of things will come up :)I would like to try a vegetarian diet for the summer but I have no ideal where to start. What are the basics?
Get the Vegetarian Starter Kit from -

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk



Vegetarian diet: How to get the best nutrition

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetar鈥?/a>
well guess what.Keep eating meat

No comments:

Post a Comment