Sunday, January 29, 2012

What are the immediate effects of a vegetarian diet?

I was considering moving to a vegetarian diet, but I was concerned about how my body will react to a change that big.What are the immediate effects of a vegetarian diet?
It made me more energetic and clean feeling, it also helped with my digestion. This was on a vegan vegetarian diet, however. It doesn't make you feel sick, but man, the cravings can really be huge if you don't have good will power in the first few weeks before habit kicks in.
Last year I switched from a processed omnivore diet to organic vegetarian. For me, the biggest immediate effects were the veggies tasting really bland, but this only lasted a couple days. Now I feel that processed food is very bland, and the veggies taste amazing.



You might also feel hungry after a meal, but I think that's more psychological then physical. That feeling also goes away after a couple days. Eating something high in fiber, like an apple, will quiet any after dinner hunger pangs.



The easiest transition would be to try a pescetarian diet, then vegetarian. Pescetarian is just a vegetarian who also eats seafood. You'll also notice weight loss, lower cholesterol, and more energy :)What are the immediate effects of a vegetarian diet?
The main effect my body went through when first starting a vegetarian diet was my weight dropped. It wasn't noticeable during the first couple weeks, but it was definitely noticeable when I stepped on a scale. Make sure that if you decide to switch to the awesome life of a vegetarian, remember to eat healthy and balanced meals in order to balance out your intake. Eating meat packs in calories and a good portion of your food intake, so make sure to get a proper menu and alternative options to foods before starting this diet. Forget all the hype about vitamins and nutrients being ones to suffer, the only vitamin you should be taking is B-12, UNLESS you are getting the proper amount from soy milk and B-12 fortified foods. Good luck!
Providing the diet is healthy (ie you don't resort to sugar snacks instead of a ham sandwich) its grand, immediate doesn't happen it will take a good week for any noticeable positives to come through.

Before i was vegetarian i drank alot of water %26amp; i noticed that it helped me alot both feeling better %26amp; more alert, once i cut out meat i noticed quite a boost of energy too from obviously consuming more vegetables %26amp; my skin is better. Its also helped me cut out quite alot of junk food though unfortunately my favourite sweets Jaffa cakes are vegetarian %26amp; i mill through them :P



As for negatives, like i said providing you are eating healthy stable meals you will be grand. Really the 3 big things in meat are iron, Vitamin B12, protein. All can be gained through foods ranging from (supplements, beans, seeds, yoghurt, cereal, nuts etc)What are the immediate effects of a vegetarian diet?
None at all. I went cold turkey to a veg diet, and I have no side effects, my running times have gone down, I am perfectly healthy (I have been veg one year). No worries.
I the biggest immediate thing i was that my sense of smell got better. iron is not hard to tackle. vitamin c helps people absorb non heme iron.
Is it really that big of a change? There are days where I don't intentionally eat veggie but it just happens. Meat is not a neccessary food item.
As long as you can be sure you're replacing the nutrients in meat with nutrients from veggies, you should be fine.



You should know, though, that you can't replace meat with salads and expect to stay healthy. The amino acids that make up protein in plants, for example, are not complete like they are in meat. You need to eat a wide variety of veggies (and lots of them). Same with iron. The non-heme iron in plants is not as well absorbed by your body as iron from meat. So you need to eat a lot more iron rich plant foods to get the iron your body would get from a serving of meat every day. And you can't get Vitamin B12 from any plant food. Unless you're eating eggs and dairy products, you'll need to get shots, pills or eat highly processed fortified foods to get that vitamin.



It's not impossible, for source, but, IMO, it does take more meal planning to be healthy as a vegetarian.
It makes you stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment