Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Is it possible to have a vegetarian diet using only fresh whole foods?

I cannot seem to stomach the taste of meat anymore. I have been working for about 2 years to put my husband and I on an all natural whole foods diet. Most of the people I know who are vegetarian eat a lot of junk food and vegetarian meat products, like veggie burgers and bacon. Can you be a healthy vegetarian without using "pretend" foods?Is it possible to have a vegetarian diet using only fresh whole foods?
Absolutely. I have several friends in the same boat as you. They hate the taste of meat, and cannot figure why a vegetarian would want something designed to taste like meat. Lots of a variety of veggies, whole grains, and nuts %26amp; legumes can produce a perfectly healthy diet, though if you are vegan, you may need to take a supplement of B12, since it is mostly found in animal products. Keep on with what you are doing and ignore the meatless meat eaters around you! For extra protein, tofu and/or soy or almond milk are great additions. Tofu will take on the taste of whatever you put with it, so it can be used in soups, stews, salad dressings, "milk shakes" and simply cooked after marinating to flavor. Good luck and happy eating!
Yes you can. I am a vegetarian and have been for 16 years. I do not eat a lot of junk food or vegetarian meat products. You can eat whole fruits and veggies and nuts and grains for protein.Is it possible to have a vegetarian diet using only fresh whole foods?
Of course. Its probably the most healthy way to do it.



I eat junk food because I'm lazy, not because I'm vegan :-)
YES! I think it is so much better to have a diet of real veggies!



Just find a good cook book or get great meal ideas off line. It's really good to roast you vegetables too! When you roast your vegetables they have a better flavor and in some way they can have a lighter feeling but resemble meat flavor without the heaviness.Is it possible to have a vegetarian diet using only fresh whole foods?
Yes, if you can find them and afford them.
There is no reason to use fake meat products. Most processed food is simply for convenience. I rely mainly on fresh whole foods, such as vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, etc. I sparingly use faux meat products, mostly when I am on the run and just want to throw something together quick.



You may want to check out some of Dr. Joel Furhman's books, as he advocated a diet rich in fruits, veg, beans, etc. and free from processed foods. I have read his book about feeding children, which was very interesting, but have yet to read his others. If anything you may want to pick up some of his books(even the one about feeding children), if only for the recipes.



It is very possible, and more healthy to eliminate processed junk food from ones diet, and get nutrients from real foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment